Index to Public Lands News of July 11, 2014
Index to the current issue:
* PUBLIC LANDS AGENCY SPENDING FLAT. In House DoI subcommittee version of a FY 2015 appropriations bill. PILT money included. Measure is loaded with riders on sage-grouse, climate change, wetlands, etc.
* ENVIROS SPLIT ON FIRST SAGE-GROUSE PLAN. Some lay groundwork for lawsuit but others such as The Wilderness Society praise. Industry is somewhat supportive of Lander, Wyo., plan, but acknowledges restrictions.
* OBAMA DEMANDS EMERGENCY FIRE MONEY ACTION. Asks for $615 million in new money for FY 2014 and disaster funding henceforth. Senators stir.
* HARD ROCK FEE HIKE BOTHERS MINERS. They object to annual maintenance fee increase to $155 per claim, will ask Congress to eliminate CPI hike.
* SBA ASKS ESA COMMENT EXTENSION, GETS IT. FWS grants 90 days more to comment on proposal that could affect critical habitat designations.
* ENVIROS CITE HUGE OIL SHALE WATER NEED. Say Chevron filing in Colorado water court demonstrates industry will need more water than thought.
* ALASKA ASKS TO INTERVENE IN REFUGE ROAD CASE. Will probably argue, as King Cove citizens do, that Congress meant for DoI to approve road.
* GOP SENATORS: SPEND MONEY ON OPS, NOT LWCF. Seven ask appropriators to put money into management, fires. But many more support the program.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* CONFERENCE CALENDAR.