Index to Public Lands News of December 12, 2014
Index to the current issue:
* SENATE GIVES OMNIBUS FINAL OKAY. Would expedite oil and gas permits, expedite renewal of grazing permits, abet a huge Arizona copper mine. Jewell objects to mine exchange. The right, greens fault package.
* FEW CHANGES LOOM IN SPENDING. Appropriators finally publish FY 2015 spending bill that roughly maintains FY 2014 levels. Does include rider to block EPA wetlands rule. House approved in close vote.
* COURT THROWS OUT RS 2477 CLAIMS. Appeals court overrules district and says where feds have opened ways locals can’t ask court for title.
* HILL EXTENDS PILT, BUT SRS IS SHUT OUT. Appropriators approve $442M for PILT. Maybe next year for SRS. GOP and Dems blame each other.
* MINERS ASK END TO ESA LISTING DEALS. Tell court that agreements with greens to process 1,000 listings violate ‘candidate’ classification.
* UTAH FED LAND ASSUMPTION HELD RISKY. But report from three universities says state could make economics work, if energy revenues increased.
* MINERS APPEAL GRAND CANYON WITHDRAWAL. Ask appeals court to overturn district court that upheld DoI. NMA said Interior didn’t make case.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* CONFERENCE CALENDAR.