Index to Public Lands News of May 22, 2015
Index to the current issue:
* FWS PROPOSES NEW ESA CURBS. Would require listing petitioners to first talk to states, limit petitions to one species at a time. Enviros call proposals ‘crippling.’ Their GOP critics want to see firm action.
* ENERGY ROYALTIES CREATE RUCKUSES. Two senators demand sweeping coal reforms. Coal and O&G industries object to proposed ONRR rule.
* HOUSE APPROVES LONG SAGE-GROUSE DELAY. Bishop sees military implications of listing; DoD may not agree. DoI posts sagebrush fire program.
* BLM CONTEMPLATES NM AND AZ OFFICE MERGER. But politicians from both parties and the energy industry say states’ resources vary greatly.
* POSSIBLE NEVADA MONUMENT STIRS THE POT. House Republicans fear Obama will designate Great Basin monument. Sen. Reid is all for it.
* MURKOWSKI MOVING DOZENS OF ENERGY BILLS. But most controversial federal lands bill not yet in the mix. Infrastructure, supply hearings.
* MINERAL PERMITTING BILL FOUND WANTING. Administration says BLM already has authority to speed permits. Murkowski says feds do poor job.
* JUDGE DEMANDS MORE COAL PERMIT ANALYSIS. Says OSM must consider the impacts of burning coal before allowing expansions of operations.
* PROPOSED WETLANDS RULE UNDER ASSAULT. House votes to force withdrawal of plan to expand permit requirement. OMB quickly threatens veto.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* CONFERENCE CALENDAR.