Index to Public Lands News of July 25, 2014
Index to the current issue:
* FIRES A MAJOR BLM SAGE-GROUSE PRIORITY. Some conflagrations in West burn up habitat. One of many strategies to protect habitat and, perhaps, avoid ESA listing. House GOP would defer listing decision to 2016.
* KORNZE PITCHES FOR O&G INSPECTORS. After GAO criticizes agency for not hiring enough. He recommends a new system of onshore inspection fees. House money panel puts up more money but takes from other programs.
* SENATORS INCLUDE FIRE MONEY IN EMERGENCY BILL. Put up $615M to pay agencies back in immigration bill. House, Murkowski not so sure.
* HOUSE APPROPRIATORS OFFER LEVEL FUNDING. But include emergency fire and PILT money in bill, forcing reductions in conservation spending.
* HOUSE APPROPRIATORS RETAIN RIDERS. Keep them in money bill, despite Democrats’ opposition. Sage-grouse delay among important riders.
* DEMS: NO HARD ROCK ROYALTY COSTLY. DeFazio staff puts lost royalties in 2012 and 2013 at $384 million. Industry says it pays elsewhere.
* TWO SENATORS WANT MORE FED MONEY. FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENTS. Landrieu focuses on offshore oil revenue sharing; Murkowski demands access.
* USERS BACK GOP ON WETLANDS RULE. Ranchers, hard rock miners say proposal to expand Section 404 permits should be stopped. House GOP agrees.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* BOXSCORE OF LEGISLATION.